Harper Woods officers catch carjacking suspect

By: Brendan Losinski | Advertiser Times | Published September 13, 2018

 Kenneth Carl Dixon

Kenneth Carl Dixon

HARPER WOODS — At approximately 9:14 p.m. Sept. 7, Harper Woods Department of Public Safety officers responded to a reported carjacking and robbery that had just occurred at the BP gas station at Harper Avenue and Vernier Road.

The victim informed officers that a suspect had just pointed a handgun at her and ordered her to get out of her car. The suspect then entered the vehicle and drove it away, police said. There were no reported injuries.

Department of Public Safety officers quickly located the stolen vehicle, a 2018 Dodge Charger, on Moross Road, near Peerless Street, in Detroit. The suspect fled from them on foot and, after an extended pursuit, was taken into custody in the backyard of an abandoned home, police said. 

“There was an officer who was very close by when the incident occurred,” said Harper Woods Director of Public Safety James Burke. “They gathered information from the victim very quickly and, within minutes, identified a possible location for the car on Moross Road. There was an extended pursuit assisted by Detroit and Grosse Pointe police officers. This guy had been hiding in places and popping up and hiding again until (Harper Woods) Officer Tom Costello spotted the suspect while we were waiting for K-9 support from St. Clair Shores, and he gave chase again and caught him.”

The suspect is a 26-year-old Detroit man, Kenneth Carl Dixon. He was formally charged in the 32-A District Court in front of Judge Daniel Palmer Sept. 10. He is being held without bond.

Dixon was charged with one count of carjacking, two counts of armed robbery, one count of larceny of $20,000 or more, one count of receiving stolen property of $20,000 or more, one count of carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent, one count of obstructing a police officer, one count of possession of a firearm by a felon and seven counts of felony firearm.

If convicted, Dixon faces up to life in prison. Dixon has a probable cause conference scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Sept. 19 in the 32-A District Court.

As of Sept. 12, he had not been assigned a court-appointed attorney.