Former Farmington Hills resident arraigned on loan fraud charges

By: Mark Vest | Farmington Press | Published January 23, 2024

Shutterstock image


FARMINGTON HILLS — On Dec. 18, Tiesha Johnson, 55, formerly of Farmington Hills, was arraigned in 47th District Court in Farmington Hills on charges of fraudulently obtaining Paycheck Protection Program loans and Economic Injury Disaster loans from the federal government, according to a press release from the Michigan Attorney General’s Office.

Johnson, a former investigator for the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, was arrested in Dallas, Texas, pursuant to warrants from the Department of Attorney General and was transported back to Michigan.

“In July of 2022, the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Inspector General referred the matter to the Michigan Department of Attorney General and requested an investigation into potential federal loan fraud,” the release states. “It is alleged Johnson fraudulently obtained two PPP loans and one EID loan totaling $34,675 while a federal employee. PPP loans were meant to cover payroll expenses for businesses during the height of precautions against the COVID-19 pandemic. It is alleged Johnson did have a business, but not employees or payroll expenses.”

Johnson was charged with three counts of false pretenses of $1,000-$20,000; each offense is a five-year felony, according to the release.

“These federal loan programs were meant to keep businesses afloat amid the international pandemic,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel stated in the release. “Defrauding your country, your neighbors, and your fellow Americans, during a time of global crisis for your own financial gain cannot be tolerated. The State of Michigan saw millions of dollars fraudulently taken from these programs, and my office remains committed to rooting out and prosecuting the fraudsters and scammers responsible.”

Johnson was granted a $25,000 personal recognizance bond.

She is scheduled to have a motion hearing and in-court pre-exam conference Feb. 12.

Johnson’s attorney of record did not respond to requests for comment by press time.