No injuries to occupants or first responders were reported after a morning fire on Ritter Street Feb. 11.  Investigators said the fire was accidental.

No injuries to occupants or first responders were reported after a morning fire on Ritter Street Feb. 11. Investigators said the fire was accidental.

Photo provided by the Center Line Department of Public Safety


Fire damages home on Ritter in Center Line

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published February 12, 2019

Advertisement

CENTER LINE — Investigators believe a residential fire that apparently started in the basement of a home on Ritter Street, near 10 Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue, on Feb. 11 was most likely caused by discarded smoking materials.   

“It looks accidental, but that’s what it seems to be,” said Center Line Public Safety Department Division Fire Chief Chuck Schubert. “In talking with the owner, he did state he was down there. He discarded some smoking materials in a wastebasket. He left to go get some gas or run an errand.”

The man’s daughter later called 911 at 9:16 a.m. and was able to remove a pet from the home before firefighters arrived.

“We had a working fire down in the basement. It extended up into the ceiling. We checked for extension into the first-floor bathroom,” Schubert said. “It didn’t spread into the bathroom on the first floor. It was working it way up there when we got down there. It was burning pretty good.”

Schubert said the fire was extinguished and glass block windows were removed for ventilation.

The U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal Fire Department responded to assist.

There were no injuries reported to occupants or first responders. No adjacent property was damaged.

“There was smoke damage throughout. Most of the fire damage was to the basement and the ceiling,” Schubert said. 

Advertisement