Graduation to proceed as planned after bullets found in Farmington High auditorium

By: Sherri Kolade | Farmington Press | Published June 8, 2018 | Updated June 11, 2018 8:03am

Farmington High School went into lockdown mode after a magazine of bullets was found in the school auditorium June 8, according to an email blast from Farmington Public Schools Superintendent George Heitsch.

The lockdown was lifted that afternoon.

“We wanted to let you you know that we have placed Farmington High School in a lockdown as a precautionary measure,” Heitsch said in the email.

He said that district officials did not feel that students or staff were in any danger, and officials worked closely with the Farmington Public Safety Department as police investigated.

A press release from the Farmington Public Safety Department notes that the officers investigated the situation and recovered a loaded .40 caliber pistol magazine at FHS at around 11 a.m. June 8.

Farmington Public Safety officers utilized the assistance of local K-9 teams to conduct a sweep of the building, according to the release.

Nothing further was found during the search and the lockdown.

According to the release, Farmington Public Safety investigators will continue their investigation, and they will provide updates as they become available.

FHS Principal Tom Shelton said in a follow-up email that the day “brought some challenges to our Falcon community.”

He said that the bullets were found at about 11:15 a.m.

“Within a minute of this discovery the entire building was put on a precautionary lockdown,” he said. Farmington police responded immediately, and the school was later cleared to resume normal activities.

“This clearance would not have been given if there was any clear danger to our staff and students,” he said, adding that he held off on responding to many of the Facebook threads about the incident because it’s still an active police investigation.

“We are limited in what we can share,” Shelton said. Most of the things he heard and read after the lockdown are “simply untrue, or pure unsubstantiated speculation,” he said.

Shelton said that as a parent of three school-age children, he understands the fear and anxiety around issues like this. He said students have reacted in a variety of ways, which is to be expected under the circumstances.

“The best we can do as caring adults at this time is to listen and reassure the best we can,” he said. “At the same time, based on recommendation of our local law enforcement, there is no reason at this time to believe that students are at risk.”

Shelton said that graduation and school on Monday, June 11, were to continue as planned.

“We are currently discussing whether additional security precautions should be taken,” he said. “We have had an outstanding school year, and the Class of 2018 deserves a

celebration free from distraction.”

For more information, go to