Driver in bus stop crash returns to court

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published August 11, 2017

WARREN — The driver of a truck that slammed into six people at a bus stop on 12 Mile Road, east of Van Dyke, Aug. 2 has been charged with reckless driving and operating a motor vehicle while impaired causing serious impairment of a body function. 

Gary Paul Daleo, 55, of Roseville, was free on a $70,000 surety bond at press time. He was scheduled to return to court for a hearing at 8:45 a.m. Aug. 15 before 37th District Court Judge Suzanne Faunce.

Daleo reportedly registered a 0.07 blood alcohol content after the crash. Investigators also reportedly sought a warrant to draw blood in an attempt to further gauge his level of alleged intoxication at the time.

Michigan law permits police to arrest drivers at any BAC if they exhibit signs of impairment while operating a motor vehicle. 

Deputy Commissioner Matt Nichols, of the Warren Police Department, said emergency crews were sent to the scene after the crash at 5:25 p.m. Aug. 2, where a blue 2006 Dodge Ram truck, allegedly driven by Daleo, struck a bus stop shelter on the eastbound side of 12 Mile.

Nichols said the six people injured in the crash — four women and two men — range in age from 40 to 62 years old. Five of the six victims remained hospitalized Aug. 7 with broken bones, broken ribs, compound fractures, and injuries to the head, arms, legs, knees and spine.

“It looks like they’re all going to recover. There’s going to be some significant rehab and a lengthy recovery process,” Nichols said.

Daleo reportedly walked away from the crash and used a restroom at a nearby Subway restaurant before returning to the scene. His attorney, Randy Babi, said he planned to review all of the evidence and declined to comment further on his client’s behalf before viewing additional materials.

Nichols praised the police officers and firefighters who quickly responded to treat the victims.

“It was a pretty chaotic scene, and working with the Fire Department, our guys really stepped up. We had multiple ambulances from other cities who helped transport the victims to multiple hospitals,” Nichols said.

The charges are punishable by up to five years in prison and fines of up to $5,000.