Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Driver charged after crashing into pole in Clinton Township

Warren woman who fled from police had a child, 5, in the vehicle

By: Nick Mordowanec | C&G Newspapers | Published October 18, 2018 | Updated October 22, 2018 4:16pm

 Zaikha Wiggins

Zaikha Wiggins


CLINTON TOWNSHIP — A Warren woman was charged on multiple counts Oct. 18 in 41-B District Court for her alleged role in a car chase that led to property destruction.

Zaikha Wiggins, 27, was charged with third-degree fleeing and eluding a police officer, a felony punishable by up to five years in jail; resisting and obstructing a police officer, a felony punishable by up to two years; and child abuse, a potential two-year felony.

Clinton Township Police Sgt. Anthony Coppola said the incident occurred at approximately 3 p.m. Oct. 16. Officers were called to Rite Aid, 35250 Gratiot Avenue in Clinton Township, for a suspicious vehicle.

Coppola said officers made contact with a silver 2014 Chevrolet sedan in the parking lot. The vehicle model was immediately unavailable.

Wiggins was the alleged driver of the vehicle. As police attempted to make contact, Wiggins reportedly hit the gas and drove over and through a berm estimated to be “a good 7 or 8 feet tall.” The berm helps restrict access, Coppola said.

Wiggins reportedly proceeded to enter traffic, going northbound on Gratiot and leading police on a pursuit that resulted in her vehicle striking an electrical pole in the area of Metropolitan Parkway and Harper Avenue.

A boy, 5, was also in the vehicle. Coppola could not confirm the relationship between Wiggins and the child. Neither the driver nor the boy sustained any life-threatening injuries. Nobody in the roadway was injured either.

“It was one of those electrical poles that hold up those traffic signals. … It was destroyed. It had to be replaced,” Coppola said.

The crash ended the pursuit, leading to the driver being arrested.

Wiggins’ next court date is scheduled for Oct. 31. Her bond was set at $50,000, $5,000 cash or surety. No attorney information for Wiggins was available at press time.