Crews extinguish house fire on Prospect

Officials: Clothes left near space heater likely to blame

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published May 18, 2016

 Combustible materials left too close to a space heater was cited as the likely cause of the fire.

Combustible materials left too close to a space heater was cited as the likely cause of the fire.

Advertisement

WARREN — A fire likely resulting from combustible material left near a space heater left two homes damaged on Prospect west of Van Dyke early on May 17.

Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said firefighters were dispatched to the scene following a 911 call at 6:40 a.m.

“A neighbor reported it while walking the dog,” McAdams said. “The fire went through the window, the picture window, and flames impinged on the second house. The houses are really close together.”

No one was in the single family home where the fire started. McAdams said a resident reportedly had left to take her children to school when the fire broke out.

He said combustible material, probably clothing, placed too close to a space heater likely ignited the fire.

Damage at the home where the fire started appeared to be extensive. The adjacent home suffered visible damage to its east side.

No residents were injured, but McAdams said one firefighter was transported to the hospital as a precaution after he suffered from lightheadedness at the scene.

“He wasn’t injured. He felt dizziness, probably related to secondary smoke inhalation,” McAdams said. “He’s expected to be released after some baseline testing.”

McAdams said the treated firefighter was a veteran lieutenant with 22 years of service, assigned to Station 4. He was reportedly part of the team tasked with cutting utility service and ventilating the structure.

Crews from three Warren fire stations were dispatched to the fire. 

Advertisement