Clothes dryer sparks house fire

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published April 15, 2015

Advertisement

A clothes dryer sparked a fire at a home on Ledge Court, off of Coolidge, south of Wattles, at about 8:15 a.m. April 9.

Troy Assistant Fire Chief David Roberts said the resident was drying clothes in her dryer in the first-floor laundry room of the two-story home when the smoke detector sounded.

She tried to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, then dialed 911 and got her four children out of the home safely, Roberts said in a prepared statement. 

Firefighters arrived on the scene and saw light smoke outside and moderate to heavy smoke inside the home, according to reports. 

Roberts said firefighters extinguished the blaze, ensured everyone was out of the home, took the dryer out of the home and ventilated the smoke.

Firefighters were on the scene for one hour. The residents went to a neighbor’s home and are making arrangements to stay with family members due to the significant smoke damage on the first floor, according to reports. There was minor smoke damage to the second floor and no smoke in the basement of the home, Roberts said. The fire started inside the dryer, and fire damage was confined to the appliance, according to reports.

Advertisement