Clinton Township, Macomb County to split costs for Little Mack road reconstruction

By: Nick Mordowanec | Fraser - Clinton Township Chronicle | Published July 19, 2017

Advertisement

CLINTON TOWNSHIP — On July 10, the Clinton Township Board of Trustees voted 7-0 to use money from its general fund budget in accordance with a road reconstruction project on Little Mack Avenue.

In a July 6 letter addressed to board members, Scott Chabot, senior project manager of township engineering firm Giffels Webster, said the township’s District E phase two sanitary sewer overflow relief sewer project was complete. The project was conducted on Little Mack, from 15 Mile Road to Kemp Street.

Piping had reached the end of its service life, Chabot explained, and the project was budgeted during the current fiscal year. However, it was determined that road conditions along part of this stretch are not up to par with this recent upgrade — notably on Little Mack, between Abrahm and Kemp streets.

He indicated that the township had an opportunity to work with the Macomb County Department of Roads — as part of the same project conducted with the water main — to share costs associated with the road work.

Under the agreement, the township’s water and sewer funds will cover 100 percent of all water main-related costs, as well as road paving costs associated with water main construction. The county will cover 40 percent of costs outside water projects, while the township will cover the other 60 percent of costs.

Chabot said approximately $714,900 in water and sewer funds will be used to cover water-related projects and other incidental costs. The township will front $331,800 to cover supplemental costs associated with road reconstruction, while the county will “match” with $220,500.

Water project costs include mobilization, traffic control and permits; soil erosion and sediment control and restoration; water main installation; pavement demolition; and road paving.

Road reconstruction costs include demolition, removals, grading and paving.

Upon completion of the project, the township will furnish the county with a statement of actual costs, and it will remit all collected money exceeding the total cost of the project — including overhead, fringe benefits or any other necessary expenses that meet the project’s total cost.

Reimbursement funds will be available after Oct. 1, Chabot said.

Clinton Township Supervisor Bob Cannon said prior to the board’s vote that the stretch of road being reconstructed was poor in condition and needed to be fixed. He called it “painful but necessary.”

“When we proposed our budget earlier in the year, we had monies that we put back into the general fund that I was hoping to participate in projects like this that benefit the greater good of the community, and I believe this is one of those projects,” Cannon said.

Treasurer Paul Gieleghem hoped it would be a 50-50 match between the township and county. The reversion back to a 60-40 agreement costs the township an extra approximate $55,000. He said the township has no other funding source for road projects.

“We’re going into fund balance for this, but … I think it’s a worthwhile use of those dollars,” Gieleghem said.

Clerk Kim Meltzer said the township has more than 100,000 residents and is at full development, while other county communities are still developing and generating more revenue. She hoped the county would understand the township’s stance.

“I definitely want us to work well and have a good relationship with the county, but I hope they understand that it may seem like we’re the ones always asking with our hands out for more money,” Meltzer said. “But it’s because we have a demand that financially we can’t meet because we are developed. That’s a big factor I want the public to recognize.”

The board’s approval means that bidding can commence on the road portion of the project. Chabot said the intent is to finish the project by the end of November.

Advertisement