Cigarette lights condo fire

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published October 18, 2011

 Firefighters were dispatched to the scene of a fire that started from a cigarette on the balcony of a condominium on Alameda Drive during high winds Oct. 14.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene of a fire that started from a cigarette on the balcony of a condominium on Alameda Drive during high winds Oct. 14.

Photo provided by the Troy Fire Department

Advertisement

A cigarette on a condominium balcony on Alameda Drive sparked a blaze just before 6:30 p.m. Oct. 15.

Fire officials said that Troy Fire Lt. Don Douglas from Station 2 saw black smoke as he drove in the area of Rochester Road and South Boulevard and reported it to 911. Douglas determined there was a structure fire on Alameda Drive, and reported it to fire officials, according to reports.

Others also reported to 911 operators that there was a fire on Alameda, in attached condominiums.

Firefighters discovered a second-floor balcony of a six-unit, two-story condominium building ablaze, and the fire was spreading to the roof and attic, Assistant Fire Chief Dave Roberts said.

Despite extremely high winds, firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, entered units on either side and pulled down ceilings to access attic space to stop the fire from spreading to the rest of the complex, according to reports.

Roberts said that damage was contained to the unit of origin, with minor damage to the adjoining units on each side.

The residents were not at home at the time of the fire, Roberts said. He said an investigation revealed that the blaze started on the balcony from a cigarette that the resident thought had been extinguished.

Fifty-eight firefighters with five engines, three ladder trucks and one rescue squad were on the scene for three hours.

Roberts noted that a cigarette also sparked a blaze on Kirts Boulevard in July of this year.

 

Advertisement