Bowling alley attacker pleads guilty, gets 12 months in prison

By: Brendan Losinski | Roseville - Eastpointe Eastsider | Published March 22, 2019




ROSEVILLE — One of the two suspects charged in the assault of an employee at the Apollo Lanes Bowling Alley in Roseville last October was sentenced to one year in prison after he pleaded guilty as charged.

According to police, 31-year-old Quinton Kisor and his co-defendant, 31-year-old Clinton Township resident Branden Moore, were with a group of acquaintances at the Apollo Lanes Bowling Alley Oct. 10, 2018. After being asked by an employee to leave the premises for being disruptive, the two suspects allegedly attacked the employee, punching and kicking him, hitting him with a stool and striking him in the head with a 10-pound bowling ball.

Kisor was charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm and assault with a dangerous weapon — the bowling ball. Such felonies can carry up to 10 years in prison; Kisor pleaded guilty as charged prior to the case going to trial.

Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith expressed his dissatisfaction with what he believed was a lenient sentence for the crime.

“The sentencing is under the purview of the bench, and the sentence was within the sentencing guideline range for the case,” Smith said. “We always want the maximum on violent felonies. Just as the judge can’t tell us how to plead how our cases, we can’t tell him how to sentence cases.”

The decision was finalized in Macomb County Circuit Court March 19. Judge Richard Caretti sentenced Kisor to 12 months in jail and anger management classes. He also issued a condition of no contact with the victim or his co-defendant. 

Moore’s case has not yet gone to trial. His next court date is a pre-examination hearing on Wednesday, March 27.

Kisor’s attorney, Maroun Hakim, said he believed the sentence was an appropriate one for his client.

“The Macomb County prosecutor said that he was opposed to the … agreement with the judge. They always like to have a stiffer punishment,” said Hakim. “I think Mr. Kisor got a fair sentence. He was very remorseful. He was sorry the incident happened. He was there with his friends to have a good time, and things got out of hand. Once he’s finished his sentence, he will be a productive member of society.”

Hakim added that it was a crime committed in the heat of the moment and does not reflect Kisor’s character.

“It was more or less a spontaneous act,” said Hakim. “There was no intent to harm anyone, but ... it was all happening so fast. He definitely would have pulled back if he had the chance to stand back and reflect on what could happen, but he didn’t have that opportunity.”

Smith said that despite believing the sentence was too light, the case will remain closed.

“We cannot really successfully appeal a decision within the guidelines,” he said. “We take every assaultive crime and violent crime as seriously as possible. We never take a plea bargain in those cases, and we work to ensure the perpetrator faces justice.”

According to Michigan Department of Corrections records, Kisor is also serving a two-year prison sentence for a felony firearms conviction in Wayne County stemming from an incident May 18, 2018. He was sentenced in that case two days after the bowling alley attack. His earliest release date is Oct. 8, 2020, according to the Department of Corrections.

Call Staff Writer Brendan Losinski at (586) 498-1068.