Bar 7 shooting suspect heads to circuit court

By: Kayla Dimick | Southfield Sun | Published January 31, 2018

Thinkstock image

SOUTHFIELD — The man police say is responsible for injuring multiple people at a local bar will make his case in Oakland County Circuit Court.

During a preliminary hearing Jan. 17, 46th District Court Judge Cynthia Arvant decided to bind the case over to Oakland County Circuit Court after hearing testimony from several witnesses. 

According to a news release from Deputy Chief Nick Loussia, of the Southfield Police Department, police were dispatched to Bar 7, 24528 W. 12 Mile Road, on a report of shots fired at around 12:44 a.m. Dec. 16. 

When officers arrived, they located three victims suffering from what appeared to be gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen areas, and one victim with gunshot wounds to the arm. 

Police said two victims were located across the street from the bar, while two were found inside. 

Loussia said a preliminary investigation revealed that two groups of patrons had some type of altercation inside the bar, and one of the parties pulled out a handgun and began shooting. 

A 23-year-old man from Detroit was shot in the chest and was in critical condition, Loussia said. 

Two 37-year-old men, both from Detroit, also suffered gunshot wounds to the chest. Loussia said previously that they were both in stable condition and were conscious and alert following the shooting. 

In a news release dated Dec. 19, Loussia announced that Andre Deshawn Robinson, 26, of Jackson, had been arraigned Dec. 18 in the 46th District Court in Southfield in connection with the shooting. 

Robinson was charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and one count of carrying a concealed weapon. He is being held on a $500,000 cash-or-surety bond. 

During the hearing Jan. 17, Arvant heard testimonies from a victim of the shooting; a security guard who was working at the bar during the shooting; and Detective Autumn Ceci, of the Southfield Police Department. 

The first witness to take the stand was Jermaine Gorde, who said he was a victim of the shooting. 

Gorde said he went to the bar with his two cousins at around 1 a.m. Dec. 16, and when he arrived, he immediately made his way toward the bathroom, which is at the back of the establishment. 

As he made his way to the restroom, the witness said, he saw a friend and started a conversation. During the conversation, a man the witness did not know started an argument with him. 

Soon after, security intervened and started to escort the witness and his cousins toward the front of the building. 

The next thing Gorde remembers is being shot, he said. 

“I got shot,” Gorde said. “I heard the shots. I heard multiple shots. Probably about like three or four.”

The witness said he was shot once in the chest and recovered in the hospital until the following day. He did not see who had fired the shots, he testified. 

Gorde’s cousin was also shot during the altercation, the witness said; neither of them was armed during the incident, he said.

“All I know is I got shot, and then I knew it was a different ballgame,” he said. 

The second witness to take the stand was Karmann Armstrong, a man who said he was working as a security guard at Bar 7 the night of the shooting. 

Armstrong said he intervened in the argument to try to diffuse the situation and to “talk them down,” he testified. 

After he began escorting the men to the front of the building, he heard gunshots in the area of the establishment’s front doorway. 

“The next thing I know, punches were thrown and shots rang out,” Armstrong said. 

After the police arrived, Armstrong gave a description of the shooter to police, as well as a description of the handgun the man had used. The guard was taken across the street to a gas station to look at two men police said had been involved in the shooting, and the guard identified one of the men as firing the shots at the bar. 

Ceci was called to the bar to investigate the shooting directly after it happened. 

Ceci said that after arriving on the scene, police identified two shooting victims and reviewed surveillance video of the establishment. Police also reviewed video of the shooting that surfaced on social media. 

She said video shows a shooter go outside, reach down to his ankle, stand up, go inside and take what appears to be a shooting stance. 

At the scene, police identified Robinson as the shooting suspect, and he agreed to speak with them without an attorney present, police said. 

Ceci said Robinson told her that he thought his friend had been shot, so he started shooting. He also admitted to being drunk during the shooting, and he said he was hungover the next day. 

“He said, ‘I ain’t gonna lie, I just lost my mind,’” Ceci said. “He stated he had a .38 revolver, and that it was fully loaded.”

Attorney David Lynch, who is representing Robinson, said a jury should decide if Robinson committed the crimes alleged.

“Your honor, I believe that it is a question on fact,” Lynch said.

“Having found that the prosecution did meet their burden of going forward in this matter today, the matter will be bound over to circuit court, and bond will be continued,” Arvant said. 

Robinson is slated to appear for a preliminary hearing at 1 p.m. Feb. 14 in front of Judge James M. Alexander.