Fire destroys home in Macomb Township

Family lost everything, set up online fundraiser to replace belongings

By: Joshua Gordon | Macomb Township Chronicle | Published November 14, 2017

MACOMB TOWNSHIP — The Macomb Township Fire Department is investigating a Nov. 11 house fire just north of Hall Road in Macomb Township that has left a family homeless.


Macomb Township Fire Chief Robert Phillips said the fire took place around 1 p.m. Nov. 11 on Pontchartrain Court in the Westbridge Manor mobile home park. A neighbor rushed to the home, Phillips said, alerting the family to the fire and everyone was able to get out safely.


The fire department responded immediately and it took about 20 minutes to get the fire knocked down, according to Phillips. The firefighters were also able to save a pet bearded dragon.


"It is fortunate the kids did the right thing and immediately got out and didn't attempt to go back in," Phillips said. "We were able to get the pet out, which made them happy, and we are glad they didn't go back in and try to get it."


Phillips said the fire is still under investigation and he could not say as of Tuesday where or how the fire started. The house is inhabitable and the family is staying at a local hotel.


The fire rose from its origin into the attic, Phillips said, which allowed it to spread and cause more damage. The interior and exterior of the home took on significant damage and Phillips said there was siding damage to three neighboring structures.


The family has set up a GoFundMe fundraiser to help afford the hotel stay and replace belongings. The daughter of the homeowner said on the fundraising page that the house was insured, but they weren't sure what would be covered, and the family has lost everything in the fire.


The fundraiser had raised just over $2,300 as of Tuesday. Information on the fundraiser can be found at


This is the second house fire in the past month in Macomb Township, after a home along 22 Mile Road caught fire on Oct. 21 and killed two dogs.


A charging lithium battery is believed to be the cause of that fire, Phillips said at the time, and the family was not home at the time.