Macomb Dakota wrestling wins regional championship
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
FAIR HAVEN — Macomb Dakota wrestling won the program's first-ever regional championship via a 64-3 victory over Chippewa Valley Feb. 13 at Anchor Bay High School.
Coming into the season, Dakota had never made it out of districts. The Cougars will now be heading to the quarterfinals, and as far as far as coach Ed Skowneski is concerned, it is mission accomplished.
"We set a goal at the beginning of the year," he said. "We've been working towards it. Today was the day (they) needed to buckle down and get after it, and they really did."
Although Chippewa coach Gary Bundirks would have liked for his team to be moving on, he is pleased the were able to walk away from the season with a district championship to their credit.
"I'm proud of my kids," he said. "The kids wrestle hard (and) do the best they can."
For the Cougars, it is on to the quarterfinals in Battle Creek Feb. 22.
Dakota defeated Grosse Pointe North 77-3 in a reginal semifinal matchup to advance to the regional finals. Chippewa defeated Warren De Lasalle 41-30 in its semifinal.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start