Hazel Park, Madison Heights, WarrenFebruary 7, 2013
Lamphere wrestling wins Division 2 district championship
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
HAZEL PARK — Madison Heights Lamphere captured its second consecutive Division 2 district championship following a 50-18 victory against Hazel Park in a district final matchup Feb. 7.
Lamphere's Valentine Ralph (135 pounds) helped get his team off to a good start by winning via pin in the first match of the final, giving the Rams an early 6-0 lead.
Lamphere went on to get four other pins, which helped provide the Rams with a comftorable lead as the match progressed.
According to coach Russ McKenzie, winning a district championship was a goal his team had from the beginning of the season.
"One of our goals was to get to regionals," he said. "We had beaten Hazel Park a couple times this year, but we knew they would come out strong, as they always do. They always wrestle very tough and aggressive. We won all the close ones. I think the match was a lot closer than what the score says."
Hazel Park coach Dale Hart understands what his team was up against in facing Lamphere.
"They're a good team," he said. "They train hard. (They have a) little more experiece than us. I think they've got eight seniors on their team."'
Lamphere senior Evan Reich credits a team effort for helping propel the Rams to victory..
"We all did a great job tonight, " he said. "Everybone pulled their weight."
Lamphere defeated Hamtramck 69-9 in a district semifinal matchup; Hazel Park beat Warren Fitzgerald 53-22 in its semifinal.
The Rams move on to face the winner of the St. Clair Shores Lake Shore district in a reginal semifinal contest Feb. 13 at Lamphere.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start