Clinton Township, Warren
Published January 16, 2014
Warren Mott takes down Chippewa Valley
By Thomas Franz firstname.lastname@example.org
Kenny Goins set the tone of the night with two highlight dunks early in the first quarter as he paced Warren Mott to a 74-67 victory against Chippewa Valley on Thursday night.
Goins finished the game with 29 points, 17 rebounds and five blocks to lead the Marauders.
"That's what we expect out of Kenny (Goins). He's just that kind of player that every night if he's not giving 15 and 15 then you're surprised. He's got a great motor and goes after it," Mott coach Jeff Olind said.
Mott jumped out to a 12-3 lead to start the game, then after Chippewa quickly tied the game, the two teams played within five points of each other until Mott pulled away in the closing moments.
Derek Murphy scored 20 points and had 10 rebounds for Mott before he fouled out late in the fourth quarter. Stef Johnson added 14 points and seven assists.
Trey Moore scored 15 points to lead Chippewa, while DeVonne Brooks and Sean Bunting each added 14.
Mott (4-3) will travel to Grosse Pointe North for its next game on Jan. 22; Chippewa (3-4) will visit Cousino that same night.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals