Madison HeightsFebruary 13, 2013
Warren Lincoln wrestling team knocks off Southfield High to advance to Division 2 state quarters
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MADISON HEIGHTS — The Warren Lincoln wrestling team is headed back to the Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 2 state quarterfinals after the Abes bested Southfield High 54-9 in a D-2 regional final Feb. 13.
Matches took place at Madison Heights Lamphere.
Lincoln next wrestles in a state quarterfinal match set for 7:45 p.m. Feb. 22 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek. Pairings will be released Feb. 17 on www.mhsaa.com. You can also watch the match on the website when it takes place.
The Abes are making their first trip to the state quarters since 2004.
"I'm really proud of everybody, coaches and wrestlers," Lincoln coach Vito Delia said. "They all worked really hard to accomplish this and it means a lot to everybody."
After being down 6-4 after a pin from Southfield 135-pounder Delano Davis-Wright in the first round of his match with Lincoln's Riwan Hormiz, Lincoln ran off five straight wins to take a 25-6 lead going into the 189-pound bout. The Blue Jays would score three points in that match before the Abes ran off 29 unanswered over the course of six matches to seal the win.
"Lincoln is a good team. They had too many guns," Southfield coach Mike Conflitti said. In advancing to the regional final, the Blue Jays advanced further than the program had in its history.
The Abes downed Madison Heights Lamphere 44-21 in a regional semi; Southfield bested Auburn Hills Avondale 45-32 in the other.
"This was one of our goals and it's nice to see it come to fruition," Delia said.
Lincoln recorded six pins in the match, at 145, 152, 160, 215, heavyweight, 112 and 119 pounds.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start