St. Clair ShoresFebruary 7, 2013
Warren Lincoln wrestling team captures second straight district title
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
ST. CLAIR SHORES — Warren Lincoln wrestling coach Vito Delia said he knew he had a strong team from the outset of the season.
His wrestlers continue to prove him right, as the Abes downed St. Clair Shores Lakeview 63-14 to win their second straight Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 2 district title.
The match took place Feb. 7 at Lake Shore.
The victory adds to a season in which the Abes won the Macomb Area Conference White Division title.
"I'm very pleased with the job they've done this year," said Delia, whose team moves to 26-1 with the win. "The guys have really taken to going out and getting the job done."
Lincoln moves on to face the winner of a Hazel Park district at 5 p.m. Feb. 13 at Madison Heights Lamphere.
The Abes took a 6-4 lead after Robert Lord scored a pin 1:38 into the first round of the first match. Lincoln would never trail again in the meet, notching five more pins and culminating with Robert LeFrance scoring a pin with 27 seconds left in the first round of his match.
The Abes also received 30 points from voids, as Lake Shore didn't field wrestlers in five weight classes.
The Shorians were looking for their first district title since 2004.
"I'm impressed with how the guys wrestled," Shorians coach Steven Conway said. "A lot of guys started out with us and didn't make it to this point. I'd rather go out there with 10 guys who want to be here than 30 who don't."
In advancing to the district final, Lincoln knocked off Warren Woods Tower 39-28, while Lake Shore beat Center Line 42-24.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start