West Bloomfield, Walled LakeOctober 17, 2012
Walled Lake Northern outlasts West Bloomfield 2-1 in D-1 district semifinal
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
WEST BLOOMFIELD — One team had home-field advantage, the other had the wind at its back.
In the end, Mother Nature seemed to hand out the greatest assist.
“Playing with the wind in the first half, we knew we’d have to jump out and get a goal or two,” Walled Lake Northern soccer coach Chris Stevanovic said after his team’s Division 1 district semifinal against West Bloomfield High Oct. 17. “To get out to an early lead was huge.”
The Knights did just that, scoring twice in the first half roughly eight minutes apart and then holding on for a 2-1 victory.
“It was a nice cushion, one we needed,” Stevanovic said of the 2-0 lead at halftime. “That’s a good team, and we knew they would pressure us in the second half. We were fortunate to hang on.”
Junior Kyle Boulier scored both goals for Northern, the first roughly 10 minutes into play and the next about eight minutes later.
West Bloomfield got its lone goal roughly 10 minutes into the second half when junior Vikram Mathias found the back of the net.
The Lakers put a ton of pressure on as the game wore on, but were unable to find the equalizer. The best chance came on a corner kick with 2:49 remaining in regulation.
“We were under duress most of the first half, and they had the wind working for them,” Lakers coach Jason Clark said. “It was a tough battle. … In the end, I think it was a good, exciting game. We just couldn’t find that second goal.”
Northern, which improves to 11-7-2 with win, seeks its third district title in four years Oct. 19 at 6 p.m. against Walled Lake Central.
Central beat Waterford Mott 2-0 in the other semifinal.
West Bloomfield closes out 2012 with a 16-6-1 record and with its first Oakland Activities Association division title in 10 years. The Lakers won the Blue with a 10-1-0 mark.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start