Rochester HillsNovember 7, 2012
Volleyball heads into the postseason
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
It’s playoff time in volleyball, and local schools are in on the action.
Here’s a look at how each one fared in their district play and where they’re going next.
The district champs moved on to regionals, which got under way after press time. The regional finals are scheduled for Nov. 8. For more on regionals showdowns, visit our website at www.candgnews.com.
Class A at Utica Stevenson
Rochester Hills Stoney Creek battled its way to a district final before losing to Utica Eisenhower in three games Nov. 2.
On the way, the Cougars beat Rochester High in four games Oct. 31.
The Falcons earned their way to the semis after beating Utica High in three games Oct. 29.
For Stoney Creek, it was the end of a banner season.
The Cougars won the Oakland Activities Association White Division and the city championship. In league play, Stoney Creek was 7-0 without losing a game under new coach Adrienne Leone.
Alexa Caporuscio, Maddie DelSignore, Emily Hardy, Jessie Sattmann, Delaney Cuckovich, Morgan Darin, Lauren Voss, Natalie Voss, Megan Feely, Natalie Gotko, Sophia LeClair, Michelle Zabat, Gabrielle Cuckovich and Samantha Sattmann make up the team.
Class A at Romeo High
Rochester Adams’ season came to a close, losing to eventual district champion Clarkston High Oct. 30.
Lake Orion High also fell to the Wolves, this time in five games in the district final Nov. 3.
The Dragons earned their spot after beating Oxford High in three games Nov. 1.
Class A at Troy Athens
Auburn Hills Avondale met its match against Troy Athens, losing in four games Oct. 31 in a semifinal.
In the quarterfinals, the Yellow Jackets beat Waterford Kettering in five games Oct. 29.
Class B at Clawson High
Pontiac Notre Dame made quick work in its regional.
The Fighting Irish beat Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day Nov. 2, Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood Oct. 31 and Southfield Bradford Oct. 29, all in three games, on their way to the title.
Prep played Macomb Lutheran North in a regionial semifinal after press time. The winner takes on either Warren Fitzgerald or Detroit University Prep at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at Prep.
Class D at Madison Heights Bishop Foley
Rochester Hills Lutheran Northwest fell to Bloomfield Hills Sacred Heart in three games Oct. 31.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start