Detroit, Rochester, Rochester Hills
Published October 3, 2013
University of Detroit Mercy and Oakland men's soccer set for first Horizon League meeting
By Mark Vest email@example.com Follow Mark on Twitter.
In what has strong potential to become an inter-league rivalry match, the University of Detroit Mercy and Oakland University men's soccer teams are scheduled to face off at 7 p.m. Oct. 5 at the OU Soccer Field.
Although the two teams have played before, including last season, when the Golden Grizzlies defeated UDM 4-0, this will be the first meeting between the squads as members of the Horizon League.
Oakland joined the Horizon League earlier this year, and of the multiple benefits that was expected to come from the move, a potential rivalry between UDM and Oakland may have been right near the top of the list.
While the Titans are the defending regular season champions of the Horizon League, so far Oakland has the early edge in the standings, as the Golden Grizzlies will enter the game with a record of 1-0-1 (3-2-4 overall) in Horizon League play, with UDM coming in with a league record of 0-1 (1-4-4 overall).
Both teams are coming off victories, as Oakland defeated Horizon League opponent Cleveland State University 2-1 Sept. 28, and the Tians picked up their first win of the season with a 3-1 victory against IPFW (Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne) Oct. 1.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams