UticaMarch 28, 2012
Trentacosta led Ike to quarterfinals in Division 1, earns MAC Red MVP
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
Less than two weeks after his Eisenhower hockey team was eliminated from the Division 1 state finals in a 4-1 quarterfinal loss to Orchard Lake St. Mary’s, coach Bob Hall had some strong praise for his 12-man senior class,
“One of the best I’ve ever had,” Hall said. “It’s going to be tough to replace these guys. That’s for sure.”
The degree of difficulty was amplified a bit more last week, as the Macomb Area Conference released its All-Conference roster for the 2011-12 season, and Ike’s Stefan Trentacosta was at the top of the list.
“He had a great year. He was brilliant for us,” Hall said of Trentacosta, who was voted Most Valuable Player in the Red Division. “He worked so hard for us and put forth some awesome games. He’s one of those all-around great kids.”
In 10 league games, Trentacosta scored eight goals and finished with a team-high 20 points.
In 28 games total, he notched 24 goals and handed out 27 assists.
“I was pretty excited, to be honest,” Trentacosta said about earning the MVP nod. “I wasn’t totally surprised, because I knew I had a good year and put up good numbers, but it’s still awesome.”
“He was an impact player,” Hall added. “If you played against him, you had to know where he was. When he was on the ice, he made a difference every shift. He made us a better team.”
Ike finished the 2011-12 season 21-5-2.
Senior Brock Brothers, who scored 22 goals and had 24 assists this season, also earned All-Conference recognition in the Red.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start