Tower wrestling coach proud of his squad after run to state finals

By: Jason Carmel Davis | Warren Weekly | Published February 28, 2014

 Titans 103-pounder Joe Schindler looks to score during a regular-season matchup against Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse.

Titans 103-pounder Joe Schindler looks to score during a regular-season matchup against Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse.

Photo by Deb Jacques

WARREN — Warren Woods Tower wrestling coach Greg Mayer said the thing he will remember most about this year’s team is how it fought through adversity.

“They did a great job of just going out and battling every time they hit the mat,” Mayer said. “There were so many matches this season where we didn’t have our full, regular lineup, and the guys still went out and battled.”

The Titans battled all the way to their first Michigan High School Athletic Association state quarterfinals appearance since 2007. Tower fell to Tecumseh 54-14 in a Division 2 state quarterfinal Feb. 21 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek. Lowell beat St. John’s 35-34 Feb. 22 to capture the D-2 state title.

Mayer credited his team for its work ethic. He said each wrestler on the team fought his hardest to help the squad win this season.

“They wrestled really well,” said Mayer, whose team finished the season at 19-12. “They faced some stiff competition on the way to the state finals. They beat a really good Crosswell-Lexington team for a regional title. My hat’s off to this group.

“I think they just ran out of gas when we got to Battle Creek. But this is a group that fought as hard as it could every night.”

Tecumseh (32-2) never trailed in the match, recording eight pins on its way to victory.

Tower battled back after falling behind 24-4. The Titans (19-12) went on a run, taking three straight matches at 135, 140 and 145 pounds to cut the Tecumseh lead to 24-14. The Indians picked up pins in each of the last five matches to seal the win.

Lincoln wrestling falls in state quarters
The Warren Lincoln wrestling team fell to eventual state champion Lowell 58-16 in a D-2 state quarterfinal matchup Feb. 22 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek.

The trip to the state finals was the second straight for the Abes, which ended the season at 22-10.

Lincoln started out its match with Lowell on the right foot, with senior heavyweight Michael Abouya picking up a pin to put the Abes up 6-0. Lowell (22-1) would win the next seven matches to build a 36-6 lead. Lincoln won the next two bouts — at 152 and 160 pounds — to make it 36-16 Lowell.

Lowell would get a pin at 171 pounds, and voids at 189 and 215 pounds to conclude the match.