BirminghamMarch 2, 2013
Title defense falls short as Rice hockey drops 3-1 decision to Catholic Central in regional final
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
ORCHARD LAKE — At this time in the year, a two-goal deficit is usually too much to overcome.
On Saturday night, it was for the Birmingham Brother Rice hockey team.
The Warriors' dream of consecutive state titles in different divisions came to an end in a 3-1 loss to Novi Detroit Catholic Central in a Division 1 regional final at the St. Mary’s Ice Arena.
“It’s just so hard emotionally to battle back when you are down 2-0 five minutes into the game,” Rice coach Lou Schmidt Jr. said. “The guys fought and they scrapped back, but it wasn’t our night.”
The Shamrocks scored on their first two shots, taking a 2-0 lead after the first period and eventually lead 3-0.
Rice got a power-play goal in the third from Ross Haffey, but it proved too little, too late.
“I thought it was a really good game,” Schmidt said. “The place was packed. We battled, but that’s how it went."
Rice, which won the D-2 title a year ago, ends the season 22-4-1.
CC (20-6-1) advances to take on Plymouth High in a March 6 quarterfinal.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start