Tigers’ Kinsler hosts prep players in home run derby
Posted July 15, 2014
DETROIT — Several local baseball players will have a chance to showcase their power during a home run hitting contest hosted by Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler.
In partnership with performance drink company Muscle Milk, Kinsler will host the inaugural Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters Home Run Derby at 6 p.m. July 17 at Wayne State University. The contest will feature 12 recently graduated or current high school players, including nine from the C & G coverage area.
The event is free and open to the public. Parking is available at Lot 50, located just to the north of Warren Avenue and west of the Lodge Freeway.
Prior to the start of the contest, participants will take instructional batting practice with Kinsler. In the event, each batter will get 10 outs per round to hit as many bombs as possible. The two players with the highest home run totals advance to the finals.
Participants were selected through the Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters program, which highlights outstanding hitters throughout the high school season on a weekly basis.
Listed are the players and their high schools. Those competitors who have since graduated have their college of choice listed, while the underclassmen have their grade listed.
• Dazon Cole, West Bloomfield, graduated, Central Michigan
• Ty Kiafoulis, Birmingham Brother Rice, graduated, Michigan
• Zach McGuire, Sterling Heights Stevenson, graduated, Michigan State
• Brennan Williams, Walled Lake Northern, graduated, Eastern Michigan University
• Will Salter, Orchard Lake St. Mary’s, graduated, Michigan State University
• Korey Young, Rockford, graduated, Michigan State University
• Randy Righter, Brother Rice, graduated, Bowling Green State University
• Hosea Nelson, Warren De La Salle, graduated, Oakland University
• Brandon Williams, Stevenson, junior
• Jacob Holt, Muskegon Catholic Central, sophomore
• Luke Shilling, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep, graduated, University of Cincinnati
• Michael Mokma, Holland Christian, sophomore
For more information, call (313) 590-4290.
About the author
Staff Writer Jason Carmel Davis covers prep sports throughout Macomb County. Jason has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2011 and graduated from Michigan State University.
More from C & G Newspapers
Rochester / Rochester Hills / Farmington Hills
Beverly Hills / Birmingham / Bloomfield Hills / Dearborn / Detroit / Madison Heights / Orchard Lake / Royal Oak
Farmington Hills / Rochester