Sterling HeightsMarch 18, 2013
Strong defense lands Sterling High boys hoops in district final
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Sterling Heights High boys basketball coach Mike Griffin said the Stallions would need to win with defense if it hoped to advance in the 2013 Michigan High School Athletic Association state playoffs.
That statement came after Sterling Heights allowed just three points in the first half of a 45-34 win over Roseville High March 6 in a MHSAA Class A district semifinal.
Over the course of three playoff games March 4-8, in which the Stallions went 2-1, Sterling Heights allowed 39.3 points per gam —12 points less than the 51.3 per game they allowed in the regular season when they went 8-12.
Sterling Heights’ season came to a close following a 51-32 loss to Clinton Township Chippewa Valley in a Class A district final March 8 at Chippewa Valley. The district-final appearance was the first since 2008 for the Stallions.
The Stallions end the season at 10-13.
In advancing to the final, Sterling Heights coach Mike Griffin said his team played some of the best defense it played all season. He said he was proud of the effort his team put in on that end of the floor.
The Stallions beat Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse and Roseville to get to the district final.
Sterling Heights graduates four seniors, including starting guard Fannr Korkis, who Griffin has called his senior leader. Juniors Jimmy Turner, Jalen Dixon and Mark Berishaj — all starters — are expected back next season. Berishaj, in his first year as a varsity player, led Sterling Heights in scoring.
Stevenson also falls in district final
The Utica Stevenson boys basketball team saw its season end in a 56-34 loss to Rochester High in a Class A district final played March 8 at Stevenson.
The Titans end the season at 15-7, including a 9-3 mark and a second-place finish in the Macomb Area Conference White Division.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start