Published June 7, 2013
Stevenson baseball, Ford II softball teams capture district titles
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
The Sterling Heights Stevenson baseball team reached a 2013 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 regional tournament on the strength of a one-hitter thrown by junior pitcher Zach McGuire in the Titans’ 6-0 win over Clinton Township Chippewa Valley in a D-1 district final played June 3 at Fraser High.
The Big Reds’ one hit came on a 3-2 count in the bottom of the first. McGuire allowed just two base runners the rest of the way in earning the complete-game shutout.
“I left a fastball up. I didn’t want to walk the kid. You have to make him earn it, and he hit it,” said McGuire, who went 2-for-4 at the plate in the district final. “My fastball was hitting spots, and the curveball was giving a good change of pace. A few of those strikeouts were on cutters that were throwing them off a bit.”
The district crown is the fourth in five years for the baseball program, which won its fourth straight Macomb Area Conference Red Division title this season. Stevenson knocked off Fraser 11-1 May 31 to advance to the district final.
“We had a good pitcher on the mound today, and we swung the bat. That was the difference today,” Stevenson coach Joe Emanuele said. “(McGuire’s) done a very good job for us this year. He’s the guy we want out there.”
Stevenson’s regional semifinal against MAC Red rival Macomb Dakota took place after press time. See our website for updates on all the regional games.
The Titans (24-8) felt relieved after the win, which came about a year after Stevenson fell 8-4 to Utica Ford II in a D-1 district final that the Titans led 4-0 at one point.
“That was a very big motivational tool for them all year long. I’m not gonna say we didn’t remind them of that a few times,” Emanuele said following the district final. “It was 4-0 (last year) and it was 4-0 for a while in this game. This is a different team too, and they’ve moved on now and I’m happy for them.”
Ford II softball team bests Stevenson in district final
The Utica Ford II softball team (27-11) advanced to a 2013 MHSAA D-1 regional semifinal by knocking off rival Sterling Heights Stevenson (24-8) 4-0 in a district final played June 4 at Fraser High.
The district title win marked the Falcons’ first win over the Titans this season after Stevenson, which won the MAC Red, took two games from Ford in the regular season.
Ford II’s regional semifinal against Anchor Bay took place after press time.
The Ford II baseball team (6-21) lost a tough 1-0 decision to Chippewa Valley in a D-1 district semi played May 31 at Fraser. Ford II knocked off Sterling Heights High (6-23) in a pre-district played May 29.
The Sterling Heights High softball team (1-14) fell to Ford II 13-0 in a D-1 pre-district played May 29.
The Sterling Heights Parkway Christian baseball team (7-11) fell 15-0 to Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett in a D-4 district final played June 3 at Parkway Christian. The Eagles knocked off Marine City Cardinal Mooney 8-1 in a district semi to advance to the final.
The Parkway Christian softball team also saw its season end in a 15-0 loss to Liggett in a D-4 district final played June 3 at Parkway Christian. The Eagles downed the Marine City Cardinal Mooney softball team 6-5 in a district semi to advance to the final.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals