Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe WoodsMarch 6, 2013
South, Liggett earn district titles
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
The girls basketball teams from Grosse Pointe South and Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett came out of their respective districts with a title to show for their effort.
South captured its second consecutive Class A district championship via a 55-35 victory against Grosse Pointe North March 1 at South.
Liggett won its fourth district title in a row with a 77-28 victory against Warren Michigan Collegiate in a Class C district final matchup March 1 at Mount Clemens High School.
South faced Warren Cousino in a regional semifinal matchup March 5; Liggett took on Marlette in its regional semifinal. Both games were played after press time.
The winners of those games move on to the regional finals.
The winner of the South/Cousino game faces either Macomb Dakota or Sterling Heights High at 6 p.m. March 7 at St. Clair Shores Lake Shore.
The winner of the Liggett/Marlette game faces the winner of Unionville-Sebewaing/Flint Hamady at 6 p.m. March 7 at Memphis High School.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start