Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe WoodsMarch 6, 2013
South, Liggett duplicate last year’s success in regionals
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
A new year brought the same old results for a pair of local hockey teams.
And that’s just fine by them.
Grosse Pointe South and Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett both claimed regional titles last weekend, advancing in their respective divisions.
The teams played quarterfinal games after press time.
“It’s great. You have to enjoy it,” South coach Bob McKillop said a day after his squad beat Rochester Hills Stoney Creek 5-2 in a Division 2 regional final. “They worked so hard to get here, and they deserved it. The state title is the ultimate goal, but this was something they earned. This was a step along the way.”
South faced Port Huron Northern in a March 5 quarterfinal.
The D-2 semifinal is set for 5 p.m. March 7 at Compuware Sports Arena, with the final to take place at 10 a.m. March 9.
“The thing you have to enjoy about high school hockey is having the chance to play these games and be ready for this run,” McKillop added. “There’s nothing better than a playoff run. We’re happy with this so far, but hope there’s more.”
South had a bye in the pre-regional, and then beat Warren De La Salle 3-2 in overtime in the semifinal.
In the D-3 tournament, Liggett kept its title hopes alive with an impressive regional round.
The Knights — the 2012 state champ — beat Country Day 7-4 in a March 2 regional final after beating Bishop Foley 13-0 in a semifinal.
Liggett faced Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood in the quarters.
The D-3 semifinal is set for 12 p.m. March 8, with the final at 2 p.m. March 9.
In D-2, Grosse Pointe North fell to the University of Detroit Jesuit 5-2 in a regional semifinal two days after beating St. Clair Shores Unified 8-0 in an opener.
The Norsemen end a successful season as the Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League South Division champs.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start