Clinton TownshipOctober 29, 2012
South Lake volleyball team bests Clintondale in playoff opener
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP - The St. Clair Shores South Lake volleyball team picked a good time to record its second win of the season, as the Cavaliers beat Clinton Township Clintondale 25-16, 25-21, 25-15 in a Michigan High School Athletic Association Class B district quarterfinal.
The match took place Oct. 29 at Clintondale and was the rubber match between two teams that split two regular- season meetings.
"We knew what we were going to see coming into the match because we've played them before," South Lake coach Liza Rogers said. "We wanted to be agressive and attack, and I thought we did that throughout the match."
The Cavs move on to face Macomb Lutheran North at 7 p.m. Oct. 31 at Center Line in a Class B district semifinal.
South Lake (2-11) led for the majority of the first game, taking over after the game was knotted at two. The Dragons (4-22) cut the Cavs' lead to three at 18-15 before South Lake went on an 8-1 run to close out the first game.
Clintondale held the lead for much of the second game and took a 20-17 lead before South Lake rallied, going on a 8-1 tear to take a 2-0 lead.
In what would be the third and final game, the Cavs jumped out to a 6-0 lead and led from start to finish in closing out the match.
"I was pleased with how the team came out to start the match," Dragons coach Michelle VanCamp said. "I thought they played well. We just played South Lake (Oct. 25), so we thought we'd be ready to go."
The two teams are members of the Macomb Area Conference Silver Division.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start