St. Clair ShoresOctober 5, 2012
South Lake girls swim team wins first division title since 2006
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WARREN — A young roster with its share of inexperienced swimmers didn’t stop the St. Clair Shores South Lake girls swim team from winning the Macomb Area Conference Silver Division title.
With a 124-40 win over Warren Fitzgerald Oct. 2 at Fitzgerald, the Cavaliers clinched the school’s first league crown since 2006, when it was a member of the Macomb Area Conference Gold Division.
At press time, South Lake sat at 5-3, 4-0 in the MAC Silver.
“My sister was on the team in 2006,” said junior Krista Nannini, a team captain who swims the 100-meter breaststroke and 200 individual medley. “Now I have something to rub in her face.”
The win is a sweet one for the Cavaliers and coach Jim Bunting. South Lake has finished second in the Silver the last two years.
Bunting, who’s coached the swim team since 1994, said having young, talented swimmers who are willing to work hard has led to South Lake breaking through and winning the division.
“It’s a small team, so we have girls swimming three or four events, and some of them are first-time swimmers. So there’s a steep learning curve that’s been there, but they’ve all adapted well,” said Bunting, adding that the team has just one senior and six first-year swimmers.
“It’s always our goal to win the division, and this group deserves it,” he added. “We don’t have as much depth as other teams or as much as we’d like, but we’re doing a great job, I think.”
Bunting said his swimmers are solid in a number of areas — individual events and relays.
The longtime Cavs coach said Nannini and senior Brie Biafora have done a great job helping the younger swimmers adjust to the varsity level.
“Everyone here has been dedicated to working hard and getting better from the start,” said Biafora, in her fourth year with the Cavs varsity swim team.
“Being a senior, it’s a great accomplishment to win a division title.”
South Lake next hits the water for a meet with St. Clair Shores Lake Shore at 6 p.m. Oct. 16 at Lake Shore.
The Cavs’ Oct. 9 matchup with East Detroit took place after press time.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start