Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe WoodsMarch 7, 2012
South, Liggett girls take district titles
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
The girls basketball state tournament tipped off last week with the district round.
Locally, Grosse Pointe South defeated St. Clair Shores Lakeview 52-17 in a Class A district final March 1. South earlier beat district host Grosse Pointe North 48-25 in a Feb. 27 semifinal.
Grosse Pointe University Liggett also won its district. The Knights got past Class C district host Mount Clemens High in a March 1 final 68-40. Liggett earlier defeated Harper Woods Heart Academy 67-16 and Warren Michigan Collegiate 73-10 in district action.
South and Liggett advanced to regional semifinals, played after press time.
South, slated to meet Romeo High in its semi, would play the winner of Chippewa Valley and L’Anse Creuse North in a 7 p.m. regional final March 8 at Utica Ford II if it advances.
Liggett, scheduled to face Flint Hamady in its semi, would take on the winner of Madison Heights Bishop Foley and Detroit Consortium in a 7 p.m. March 8 final at Auburn Hills Oakland Christian.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start