Several local prep baseball players to compete in home derby hosted by Tigers Ian Kinsler
July 8, 2014
DETROIT — Several local baseball players will have a chance to showcase their power during a home run hitting contest hosted by a Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler.
In partnership with performance drink company Muscle Milk, Kinsler will host the inaugural Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters Home Run Derby at 6 p.m. July 17 at Wayne State University. The power-hitting contest will feature 12 recently graduated or current high school players, including nine from the C & G coverage area.
The event is free and open to the public. Parking is available at Lot 50, located just to the north of Warren Avenue and west of the Lodge Freeway.
Prior to the start of the contest, participants will take instructional batting practice with Kinsler. In the event, each batter will get 10 outs per round to hit as many bombs as possible, with the highest two home run totals advancing to the finals.
Participants were selected through the Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters program, which weekly highlights outstanding hitters throughout the high school season.
Here are the players and their high schools. Those competitors who have since graduated have their college of choice listed, while the underclassmen have their grade listed.
For more information, call (313) 590-4290.
Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters roster
• Dazon Cole, West Bloomfield, graduated, Central Michigan
• Ty Kiafoulis, Birmingham Brother Rice, graduated, Michigan
• Zach McGuire, Sterling Heights Stevenson, graduated, Michigan State
• Brennan Williams, Walled Lake Northern, graduated, Eastern Michigan University
• Will Salter, Orchard Lake St. Mary’s, graduated, Michigan State University
• Korey Young, Rockford, graduated, Michigan State University
• Randy Righter, Brother Rice, graduated, Bowling Green State University
• Hosea Nelson, Warren De La Salle, graduated, Oakland University
• Brandon Williams, Stevenson, junior
• Jacob Holt, Muskegon Catholic Central, sophomore
• Luke Shilling, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep, graduated, University of Cincinnati
• Michael Mokma, Holland Christian, sophomore