Published July 8, 2014
Several local prep baseball players to compete in home derby hosted by Tigers Ian Kinsler
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
DETROIT — Several local baseball players will have a chance to showcase their power during a home run hitting contest hosted by a Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler.
In partnership with performance drink company Muscle Milk, Kinsler will host the inaugural Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters Home Run Derby at 6 p.m. July 17 at Wayne State University. The power-hitting contest will feature 12 recently graduated or current high school players, including nine from the C & G coverage area.
The event is free and open to the public. Parking is available at Lot 50, located just to the north of Warren Avenue and west of the Lodge Freeway.
Prior to the start of the contest, participants will take instructional batting practice with Kinsler. In the event, each batter will get 10 outs per round to hit as many bombs as possible, with the highest two home run totals advancing to the finals.
Participants were selected through the Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters program, which weekly highlights outstanding hitters throughout the high school season.
Here are the players and their high schools. Those competitors who have since graduated have their college of choice listed, while the underclassmen have their grade listed.
For more information, call (313) 590-4290.
Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters roster
• Dazon Cole, West Bloomfield, graduated, Central Michigan
• Ty Kiafoulis, Birmingham Brother Rice, graduated, Michigan
• Zach McGuire, Sterling Heights Stevenson, graduated, Michigan State
• Brennan Williams, Walled Lake Northern, graduated, Eastern Michigan University
• Will Salter, Orchard Lake St. Mary’s, graduated, Michigan State University
• Korey Young, Rockford, graduated, Michigan State University
• Randy Righter, Brother Rice, graduated, Bowling Green State University
• Hosea Nelson, Warren De La Salle, graduated, Oakland University
• Brandon Williams, Stevenson, junior
• Jacob Holt, Muskegon Catholic Central, sophomore
• Luke Shilling, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep, graduated, University of Cincinnati
• Michael Mokma, Holland Christian, sophomore
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Eastpointe teen to travel to Las Vegas to compete in national competition - Eastpointe
- Utica High’s lacrosse team plays second full season - Utica
- Clawson High softball learning on the fly - Clawson
- Different look, same ambitions and expectations for Brother Rice baseball - Birmingham
- Dakota baseball coach looking for consistency from young team - Macomb Township
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Cousino lacrosse having a breakout season - Warren
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals