Birmingham, TroyNovember 6, 2012
Seaholm volleyball keeps momentum going, beats Troy High
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
ROCHESTER — Birmingham Seaholm volleyball kept up its winning ways, getting past Troy High Nov. 6 in a Class A regional semifinal at Rochester High.
The Maples won 25-16, 25-20 and 29-27.
"They're just not ready for the season to be over," Seaholm coach Heather Lippert said. "They really have a lot of confidence, which they earned."
Seaholm won its first district title since 2000, beating perennial power Bloomfield Hills Marian before taking on the Colts.
Against Troy, which Seaholm beat in five games during the regular season, the Maples jumped out to a 4-0 lead and didn't look back. In game two, Troy rebounded and led 3-0 before Seaholm answered and led by as many as eight points.
In the final game, Troy led 16-14 before the Maples went on an 8-1 run to take control.
The Colts battled back, eventually fighting off four match points before Eleni Barr's ace ended the game.
"I just think we're a different team. We just came out with more fire," Seaholm senior Erin Neuenfeldt said about the difference between this match and the one during the regular season.
Troy coach Vince Muscat agreed.
"Seaholm just outworked us. Kudos to them," he said. "That's the most improved team I've seen."
The Colts end the season 32-21 overall.
Seaholm takes on Clarkston High at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at Rochester.
Other local volleyball action:
Farmington Hills Mercy beat Berkley High in three games Nov. 6 at Farmington High. Next, the Marlins meet Livonia Stevenson at 7 p.m. Nov. 8.
It was a good night for North Farmington as well. The Raiders beat Brighton in three games Nov. 6 at Brighton High. North Farmington takes on Northville High at 6 p.m. Nov. 8 for a regional championship.
In Class B, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep swept Macomb Lutheran North Nov. 6 at home. The Fighting Irish take on Warren Fitzgerald at 7 p.m. Nov. 8.
In Class D, Auburn Hills Oakland Christian took care of business in its regional semifinal. The Lancers beat Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett in four games Nov. 6 at Memphis High. Oakland Christian meets Brown City High at 6 p.m. Nov. 8
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start