Published February 12, 2014
Seaholm, Rice wrestlers take to mat in district action
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
The first step to The Palace of Auburn Hills and the individual state finals took place Feb. 8 with district action.
Birmingham Groves hosted Birmingham Seaholm and Birmingham Brother Rice in a district Feb. 8.
The host team sent one wrestler on to the regional when Logan Mendelson finished second at 189 pounds after losing a 1-0 decision in the final to Chris Pauly, of Southgate Anderson.
Seaholm had three wrestlers punch tickets to the regional, with Kohsuke Tashiro placing fourth at 119 pounds to qualify, and Shane Brady and Anthony Saadatjoo each taking third at 135 and 215, respectively.
Brother Rice boasted the most qualifiers with four.
Shon Powell won the district at 171 pounds; Cameron Smith and Joshua Tesarz took third at 130 and 140, respectively; and Dominick Adams was fourth at 160.
Up next is regional action Feb. 15 at Woodhaven High.
Also in D-1, Bloomfield Hills High competed at Rochester High Feb. 8.
The Black Hawks sent three wrestlers to regionals.
Jayvon Stringer finished second at 285; Kajaun Caldwell and Angelo Yousef placed third at 119 and 130, respectively.
The trio now heads to Oxford High Feb. 15 for regionals.
In the team portion, Birmingham Seaholm won a D-1 championship, defeating Southfield High Feb. 5 at Southfield.
The Maples won 39-34 after receiving a bye in the first round.
Southfield beat Groves in the semifinal.
Bloomfield Hills fell to Clarkston High in a district semifinal 57-21 Feb. 5 at Clarkston.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals