Roseville, EastpointeMarch 8, 2013
Roseville, East Detroit boys basketball teams fall in district round
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — The Roseville High boys basketball team battled back in its 2013 Michigan High School Athletic Association Class A district semifinal game against Sterling Heights High before falling to the Stallions 45-34 March 6 at Clinton Township Chippewa Valley.
The nine-point setback puts an end to a season that saw the Panthers go 9-12, including a 5-7 mark in the Macomb Area Conference White Division.
Roseville outscored Sterling Heights 31-29 in the second half after managing just three points in the first half of the contest. Those three points came via free throw, as the Panthers headed into the locker room down 16-3.
Roseville was stout on defense in the first half, as well. Sterling Heights didn’t manage a field goal until the second quarter. In building a 7-0 lead after the first, the Stallions scored all their points at the foul line and hit just four shots in the first half.
The Stallions ran a 2-3 zone defense for the majority of the contest. Roseville experienced difficulty penetrating that zone for most of the night. Roseville didn’t convert its first field goal attempt until early in the third quarter, when Panthers junior Elijah Collier, who netted seven points in the lost, hit a lay-up to make it 18-7 Sterling Heights.
Shamrocks fall in district quarterfinals
The East Detroit High boys basketball team saw its season end in a 68-31 loss to Detroit East English Village Prep Academy March 4 in a Class A district quarterfinal.
The game was played at East Detroit.
The Shamrocks end the season at 4-17.
East Detroit returned just three players this season after going 10-11 in 2011-12.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team - Mount Clemens
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley