Harrison Township, Rochester, Rochester HillsFebruary 15, 2012
Rochester High wrestling falls to Oxford High in regional final
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
Oxford High is returning to the wrestling team finals after edging Rochester High 31-27 in a Division 1 regional final Feb. 15 at Utica Ford II.
"We always knew it'd come down to this," Oxford coach Brandon Rank said. "We've seen Rochester countless times and knew we had the firepower to win out. Rochester has one heck of a team."
The Falcons beat the defending state champions in their only dual match earlier in the season, but coach Frank Lafferty said the difference this time came down to bonus points.
"I knew it was going to be close and it was their night," he said. "The kids have nothing to be ashamed of."
Rochester senior captain Cody Devoe agreed.
"To even get this far is an accomplishment," he said.
Neither team established a substantial lead, as the squads were tied at 27 heading into the final bout. Each team won seven matches and had two by pins, but Oxford had an additional six points come from a void.
In the semifinals, Oxford beat Anchor Bay High 47-18. Rochester downed Harrison Township L'Anse Creuse 66-12.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start