Harrison Township, Rochester, Rochester Hills
Published February 15, 2012
Rochester High wrestling falls to Oxford High in regional final
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
Oxford High is returning to the wrestling team finals after edging Rochester High 31-27 in a Division 1 regional final Feb. 15 at Utica Ford II.
"We always knew it'd come down to this," Oxford coach Brandon Rank said. "We've seen Rochester countless times and knew we had the firepower to win out. Rochester has one heck of a team."
The Falcons beat the defending state champions in their only dual match earlier in the season, but coach Frank Lafferty said the difference this time came down to bonus points.
"I knew it was going to be close and it was their night," he said. "The kids have nothing to be ashamed of."
Rochester senior captain Cody Devoe agreed.
"To even get this far is an accomplishment," he said.
Neither team established a substantial lead, as the squads were tied at 27 heading into the final bout. Each team won seven matches and had two by pins, but Oxford had an additional six points come from a void.
In the semifinals, Oxford beat Anchor Bay High 47-18. Rochester downed Harrison Township L'Anse Creuse 66-12.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals