Macomb County, Wayne CountyMarch 6, 2012
GP South, Chippewa Valley advance to regional final
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
STERLING HEIGHTS — Chippewa Valley’s and Grosse Pointe South’s girls basketball teams will meet in a 7 p.m. Class A regional final March 8 at Utica Ford II after winning their respective regional semifinals March 6 at Ford.
In the evening’s opening semifinal, South downed Romeo High 56-45. In the nightcap, Chippewa outlasted Macomb L’Anse Creuse North 45-43.
Big Reds edge Crusaders
In a game of runs, Chippewa Valley passed L'Anse Creuse North at the finish line, going ahead in the final seconds of the game after trailing throughout the entire fourth quarter.
"When my kids got down, when (North) had the momentum, we didn't give up," Chippewa coach Jackie Mauer said.
Big Reds junior guard Tiffany Misch led the Big Reds with a game-high 18 points, including nine in the fourth quarter.
Chippewa improved to 15-9 with the win, while North fell to 13-9.
North was led by junior Marisa Oleksiak's 13 points.
"We had a great year, we just didn't make enough plays at the end," North coach Bob Johnston said. "I'm just so proud of the kids."
Blue Devils best Bulldogs
South held Romeo without a point for the first 8:20 of the fourth quarter to take a commanding lead down the stretch.
“I thought we had excellent team defense,” South coach Kevin Richards said.
The Blue Devils entered the fourth trailing 39-38 before going on a 14-0 run.
“It was a great win against a great team,” Richards said. “And now we we’ve got to get ready for Thursday.”
South freshman Ali Brown led all scorers in the contest with 21 points. She and fellow freshman Cierra Rice played big games beyond their young years in the contest.
“It was pretty impressive state tournament regional debut by those two,” Richards said.
South improved to 20-3 with the win, while Romeo fell to 19-4.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start