St. Clair Shores, Clinton TownshipOctober 17, 2012
Prime-time preps: St. Clair Shores South Lake football vs. Clinton Township Clintondale
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
Two teams with a combined record of 13-1 will square off in a game that should have a playoff feel to it when Clinton Township Clintondale travels to St. Clair Shores South Lake in both teams’ regular-season finale.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Oct. 19 at the South Lake Athletic Complex.
The Dragons (7-0, 4-0 Macomb Area Conference Bronze Division) and Cavaliers (6-1, 3-1 MAC Silver) have already punched their tickets to the Michigan High School Athletic Association football state playoffs. That doesn’t mean either team will let up, though.
“You’ll have two good teams going at it,” Clintondale coach Dave Schindler said. “This will be just like a playoff game.”
Both teams have seen their fair share of postseason action in recent years. The playoff berth is the third straight for South Lake. The Dragons are making their fourth playoff appearance in seven years.
Giving 100 percent in the finale will set the tone for the playoffs, according to Schindler.
Cavaliers coach Chanterius Brock said in an interview earlier this season that he believes each regular-season game is a tune-up for the playoffs and it’s important for every player who touches the field to give maximum effort.
“You always want to give your best effort no matter what game it is,” Schindler said. “That’s why you play the game.”
Clintondale and South Lake have given maximum effort in each game this season. The Dragons, in first place in the Bronze, were putting up 38.7 points per game at press time, while holding opponents to 13.3 points per contest.
The Cavaliers, in a three-way tie with Madison Heights Madison and Madison Heights Lamphere for first place in the Silver, averaged 32.6 points per game at press time. The South Lake defense is allowing 12.4 points per game.
Clintondale’s Oct. 12 matchup with New Haven and South Lake’s Oct. 12 battle with Warren Woods Tower took place after press time.
“Hopefully, our players enjoy this time of year, because for most of them, this will be the last few games of football they will ever play,” Schindler said.
In other local action:
St. Clair Shores Lakeview’s football team squares off against Grosse Pointe South in its season finale. Game time is set for 7 p.m. Oct. 19 at South.
St. Clair Shores Lake Shore’s football squad hosts Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse in their finale at 7 p.m. Oct. 19.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Groves volleyball gives back - Birmingham
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start