Oakland CountyNovember 15, 2012
OAA coaches pick top soccer players from fall campaign
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
The Oakland Athletic Association coaches have selected the best players from each of the league’s three divisions following the conclusion of another memorable season of boys soccer.
Here’s a rundown of the All-Association honor team members.
Some of the strongest teams in Michigan called the Red Division home in 2012, and when all was said and done, Troy Athens emerged as the league champ with a 6-0-1 record. Rochester High (5-2-0) was second, followed by Clarkston High (4-3-0), Rochester Hills Stoney Creek (3-1-3), Troy High (3-4-0), Rochester Adams (1-3-3), Farmington High (0-5-2) and Bloomfield Hills Lahser (0-5-2).
All Association honors went to Max Klitzke, Aaron Gebauer, Brett Schmitz, Abhi Appukutty, Danny Harris and Tyler Gasko, Athens; Spiro Pliakos, Miles Dale, Nash Popovic, Tyler Schedlbauer and Matt Hawes, Rochester; Joey Definis, Brad Schultz, Ben Snider, Jimmy Todd and Jon Miller, Clarkston; Scott Alampi, Jack Sobczynski, William Kobus, Nick Marn and Kyle Turnbull, Stoney Creek; Zac Doepke, Mitch Guitar, Aaron Faison and Ian Fox, Troy; Ted Hurst, A.J. Shaw, Connor McDevitt and Grant Gibson, Adams; Donald Payne, Brandon Schulz and Joe Trombley, Farmington; and Soros Ashley, Jack Ramonat and Connor Wahl, Lahser.
After losing the division title on the final day of the season a year ago, Berkley High bounced back in 2012 and shared the White crown with Auburn Hills Avondale after both teams finished 8-3-1. Birmingham Seaholm followed at 6-2-4, while Lake Orion High (5-5-2), Beverly Hills Groves (3-3-6), Bloomfield Hills Andover (3-8-1) and Royal Oak High (0-9-3) rounded out the group.
All-Association players include Josh Shifman, Eric Towns, John DiNunzio, Eurick Crayton, John Ciaramitaro and Sage Stuart, Berkley; Ben Richter, Erik Koberstein, Skyler Russ, Mark Shoemaker, Garrett Ritterhaus and Stuart Russ, Avondale; Tommy Bowman, Aslex Gordon, Dalton Geraldo, Kieren O’Keefe and Andrew Pryna, Seaholm; Justin Anderson, Addison Wittry, Allen Karrip, Russell Reichenbach and Brandon Shefcyk, Lake Orion; William Thompson, Iain Mason, Alex Lurz and Christian Davies, Groves; Greg Mitchem, Griffin Hamel, Ben Kileen and Andy Kim, Andover; and Mike LaComb, Zack Peters and Kenny Vincent, Royal Oak.
One of West Bloomfield High’s best seasons ever included a Blue Division title. The Lakers (11-1-0) were followed by North Farmington (8-2-2), Oxford High (7-2-3), Farmington Hills Harrison (6-3-3), Lathrup Village Southfield-Lathrup (4-10-0), Ferndale High (2-8-0) and Hazel Park High (0-9-0).
All-Association honors go to Nick Asker, Neema Katibai, Pearson Mateika, Vikram Mathias, David Hotz and Mitchell Hotz, West Bloomfield; Kyle Kansman, Ron Basin, Will Clisham, Christian Beckwith and Matt Diekman, North Farmington; Paul Tomaka, Zach Hinman, Josh Nelson, Travis Simat and Chase Garavaglia, Oxford; Luai Fakhoury, Josh Brunett, Brenden Tatomir and Moussa Zaatar, Harrison; Ebrima Jatta, Kebba Senneh, Bamba Seck and Babaaliou Dia, Lathrup; and Chris Mendoza, Kyle Smith and Justin Gayle, Hazel Park.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley