PontiacOctober 18, 2012
Notre Dame Prep heads to Ford Field to defend 2011 Prep Bowl title
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
PONTIAC — When it comes to the ninth week of the regular season, the Pontiac Notre Dame Prep football team is getting very accustomed to making a trip downtown to play at Ford Field.
And for the third time in four years, the Fighting Irish are heading back.
“It’s just great, great to be back there and have a chance to defend that 2011 title,” coach Kyle Zimmerman said. “This is the goal for all the Catholic League teams, and we’re fortunate to be there to have a chance at it.”
Prep will head to Ford Field Oct. 20 to take on Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard at 1 p.m., adding to a growing rivalry that has seen the teams face each other seven times since 2009.
Prep won last year’s Prep Bowl 38-7 over Richard. It was the second victory in 2011 over the guys from Ann Arbor.
Prep also won this year’s regular-season meeting 28-16, thanks to an early 21-0 lead.
“I really don’t think past games or wins matter very much,” Zimmerman said. “I think the bigger thing for us is that our kids have learned how to win and how to play well all season. We’re going to go into this game like any other, expecting to win.”
Prep is 8-0 this year. Since Oct. 10, 2010, it has lost just once in 23 games. The lone defeat was a second-round loss to Marine City High in last year’s playoffs.
Gabriel Richard comes in at 7-1, with the lone setback to Prep.
Zimmerman is 3-3 in six career games against Gabriel Richard. He feels another quick start will be essential, though he doubts his team can jump out by three scores like last time.
Either way, this is one of those games that he and his guys are sure to cherish for a while.
“It’s such a great experience,” he said. “You have to soak it in while you’re there. I mean, the only other people that get to really play there are the state champs. So to go down there and be part of this is pretty special.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start