TroyMarch 6, 2013
No complaints from Zimmerman; Avondale survives in hoops
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
He said it would take a perfect game to have a chance.
His team didn’t play perfectly, and the result was a loss.
Still, as Troy High hockey coach Tim Zimmerman looked back on the 2013 playoff season, including an 8-0 setback to the University of Detroit Jesuit in a Division 1 regional final, he had very little to complain about.
“I’m not disappointed at all,” Zimmerman said a day after the season ended. “They scored six goals on special teams, and that’s what happens against a superior team. We had to be perfect, and we weren’t. But the kids played hard. They never gave up, and that’s really all I can ask.”
The Cubs scored four power-play goals and two short-handed goals while beating Troy in the March 2 regional final.
The Colts ended the season 11-12-4.
“But it was an awesome time,” Zimmerman said of the playoffs. “We’d been on a roll for about three weeks now, and it carried into the tournament.”
Troy earned a spot in the final after beating Troy Athens 5-2 in the regional semifinal and Sterling Heights Stevenson 3-2 in the opener.
Now Zimmerman has the task of working with 14 guys who could return next season.
“We have to find a way to keep the hunger going,” he said. “I think we can be better than we have been. We’re losing some top guys, but the responsibility falls on some younger guys now. We’ll see how they react.”
On the hardwood
Auburn Hills Avondale won the Athens district, beating Waterford Mott 45-35 in a March 1 final.
The Yellow Jackets beat Pontiac High 58-41 after drawing a bye in the first round.
Athens lost to Mott 53-36 in a semifinal after drawing a bye, and Troy lost to Pontiac 41-29 in the opener.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start