UticaNovember 19, 2012
MIGCA names All-State teams
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
The Michigan Interscholastic Golf Coaches Association named its All-State teams, and athletes from C & G Newspapers’ coverage area have plenty of representation on the lists.
According to the MIGCA website, the All-State selection committee took into account scores, tournament finishes, honesty, integrity, sportsmanship and behavior off the golf course in its naming of All-State athletes.
Here is a look at the local golfers who received high honors in each division — All-State and honorable mention — and the Super Team, made up of the top shooters from across all four divisions.
Utica High senior Taylor Clark led the way as the lone local athlete named to the Super Team.
She finished as the Division 1 runner-up in the state final and helped lead the Chieftains to a third-place finish in the state.
Clark’s teammates, Killian Casson and Julia Montgomery, were also recognized with All-State honors for their play. Casson finished ninth in the state final.
Farmington Hills Mercy’s Brenna Hammond led her squad to a second-place finish while placing 10th as an individual.
Grosse Pointe South’s Tenly Shield and Lily Pendy did their parts in a fourth-place finish for the Blue Devils. Individually, they placed fifth and tied for sixth, respectively.
Rochester High’s Jazmin Haque and Troy Athens’ Jennifer Yang joined them on the honor team.
Mercy’s Gillian Hickey and Sarah Montone, Rochester Hills Stoney Creek’s Chloe Guschewski, and North Farmington’s Sophie Kollin were named honorable mention.
Birmingham Seaholm dominated the All-State list in D-2.
Helping the Maples to place fourth-place finish, Megan Lam, Jordan Michalak and Rachel Wilson were all named All-State.
Seaholm’s Jamie Greene was also recognized, being named honorable mention. Auburn Hills Avondale’s Mackenzie Blomberg joins Greene on the honor team.
Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood’s Cordelia Chan and Greer Clausen were two key components in the Cranes finishing second in the state. Individually, they finished second and sixth, respectively, and earned All-State honors.
Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day’s Ellie Miller also helped propel her squad to a third-place finish in the state. On her own ball, she finished tied for seventh.
Country Day’s Monika Hedni and Piumi Jayatilake, and Bloomfield Hills Lahser’s Suzanne Miller made the All-State honor team.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start