Published November 23, 2013
Marian volleyball falls in state final
By Christian Davis email@example.com Follow Christian on Twitter.
BATTLE CREEK — East Grand Rapids volleyball is the Class A state champion.
The Pioneers beat Bloomfield Hills Marian 25-22, 25-22, 25-20 Nov. 23 in Battle Creek.
“They stayed in the moment, and when we needed that big play, they did it,” East Grand Rapids coach Christine Grunewald said of her squad. “We knew what (Marian was) going to do, that they were well coached, and we had to stick to our game plan.”
The Pioneers controlled much of the action in their match with precision kills and big blocks. Caroline Knoolhulzen led the way with 15 kills. Maeve McDonald finished with a match-high four total blocks.
Jessie Kopmeyer led the Mustangs with 10 kills and Delaney Backonen finished with 18 digs.
“Ultimately, our passing broke down, and once we can’t pass the ball, it hinders our offense. From there, it makes things more difficult,” Marian coach Angela Kalcynski said.
The Mustangs finish the year 51-16 overall. The Pioneers finish 50-5-3.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals