Bloomfield HillsFebruary 17, 2013
Marian basketball back on top on Catholic League
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
DETROIT — After a two-year hiatus, the Bloomfield Hills Marian basketball team is back on top in the Catholic League.
The Mustangs reclaimed the top spot with a 57-44 victory against Dearborn Divine Child Sunday afternoon in the AB Championship game at Calihan Hall.
“This is what you play for,” coach Mary Cicerone said afterward. “This is like a mini state title, something you work for every year in this league. It’s pretty special.”
The teams traded jabs all afternoon, with DC leading 13-12 after the first quarter, only to see Marian take a 30-20 lead by halftime.
The Falcons — last year’s AB champ — weren’t going away quietly, however, and began the second half on a 10-0 run, evening the game at 30-30 midway through the third quarter.
“That’s how it goes,” Cicerone said of the back and forth. “We came out a little flat. Once we got our composure and turned up the defensive intensity, we were able to hang on.”
The Mustangs outscored DC 27-14 in the final quarter and a half.
Junior Laura Bruton led Marian (17-2) with 15 points. Sophomore Brittany Gray and freshman Bailey Thomas scored eight each.
Sophomore Riley Blair scored 15 to lead DC (13-6), while senior Blair Myler scored 11 and junior Nicole Urbanick added 10.
The Catholic title was the 13th in program history for Marian and the first since winning three straight from 2008-2010.
“It’s been way too long,” Cicerone said with a smile. “It’s felt like an enternity.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start