Grosse Pointes, Macomb Township, Macomb CountyNovember 8, 2012
Macomb Dakota volleyball advances to quarterfinals after victory over Grosse Pointe South
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
ST. CLAIR SHORES — Macomb Dakota’s volleyball team has earned a trip to the quarterfinals after defeating Grosse Pointe South 3-0 in a Class A regional final match Nov. 8 at Lake Shore High School.
The Cougars were able to gain comfortable leads in each game en route to victories of 25-17, 25-10 and 25-14.
Dakota has swept every match it has played this postseason, which includes three district tournament victories, as well as a regional semifinal win against Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse Nov. 6.
Dakota coach Tracie Ferguson has her ideas as to why the Cougars have been on a roll this postseason.
“I think it’s just a total team effort,” she said. “As a team, we are playing together. That’s what it’s all about. We’re having fun.”
South coach Ryan Welser hopes his squad will look back with appreciation on all it has accomplished this season.
“We won the first district championship in 16 years,” he said. “We made the first divisional final championship in nearly 20 years. A lot of things set the tone. It’s hard to get to regional finals (the) first time and expect to move on. We’ve never done it. Maybe in a year or two it’s going to be our turn. It’s definitely something to build on. I’m definitely proud of the girls.”
Dakota also made it to the quarterfinals last season, dropping a 3-2 match to Lake Orion, which finished as state runner-up.
Ferguson hopes that experience will help the Cougars as they will look to do something the program has never done before — earn a semifinals berth.
“I think we’re a little more level-headed,” she said. “Next week is going to be a big deal for us, because we haven’t done it yet. Dakota volleyball’s never got past quarterfinals. I think that’s going to be a big test for us.”
Carli Snyder contributed 17 kills for the Cougars, with Kylie Churches adding six. Megan Downey had three aces, and Megan Manierski contributed 26 assists to help lead Dakota to victory.
Claire DeBoer had 11 kills, and Hannah Adams contributed 24 serve-receptions for South.
Dakota is scheduled to play a quarterfinal match at 7 p.m. Nov. 13 against Birmingham Seaholm at Oxford.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start