Published February 6, 2014
Macomb County swimmers and divers square off
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
The Warren De La Salle swimming and diving team had no Macomb County championship titles until winning its first in 2013.
After the Feb. 1 county championships, the Pilots now have two.
De La Salle tallied 378 points to win the 2014 Macomb County Swimming and Diving Championships, which took place Feb. 1 at Macomb L’Anse Creuse North. The Pilots bested their 2013 total of 310 points.
After last year’s win, De La Salle coach Jim Singelyn told his athletes to act like they’d been there before, but the fifth-year coach said the group celebrated as any team would the second time around.
“The county meet is a gauge to make sure we’re on track with our training for the rest of the year,” said Singelyn, who is also a De La Salle grad.
Macomb Dakota finished second with 253 points — 125 behind De La Salle.
Fraser High (243 points), Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (215) and Anchor Bay (154) round out the top five.
Twenty teams competed in the county championships.
De La Salle athletes took four first-place finishes — in three relay races and the 100-yard backstroke, won by sophomore PJ Desmit with a time of 56.36 seconds. The Pilots’ 200 medley relay team, made up of Desmit, junior Tim Addy, and sophomores Nick Scott and Isaiah Johnson won the heat with a time of 1:43.40. Sterling Heights Stevenson (1:47.90) and Chippewa Valley (1:48.06) finished second and third, respectively, in that event.
The Pilots’ 200 freestyle relay team of sophomore Mitch Livingston, Addy, Scott and Johnson won that event with a time of 1:34.24. Anchor Bay (1:34.32) and Dakota (1:35.65) placed second and third, respectively, in the event. Desmit, Livingston, junior Kurtis White and freshman Josh Hodges teamed up to win the 400 freestyle relay for De La Salle with a time of 3:22.98. Fraser High finished second in the event with a time of 3:28.96, while Anchor Bay (3:30.50) took third.
De La Salle earned top-five finishes in 11 of 12 events at the county championships.
“I was … impressed with the depth of our team,” Singelyn said. “We scored a lot of points in the event we didn’t win, as well, so that’s really satisfying. It means we should be good for years to come.”
Utica Eisenhower senior Mike Hudson won the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:46.86. Hudson also took the title in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:47.78. For his efforts, Hudson was named Senior Swimmer of the meet.
Chippewa Valley senior Ben Pitlock finished first in the 200 individual medley at 2:01.56.
Dakota senior Evan Goff took first in the 1-meter diving final with a score of 324.45.
Stevenson senior Chaz Gracey won the 50 freestyle in 22.47. Gracey also won the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.65.
Fraser sophomore Jake Klomp won the 100 butterfly with a time of 54.66.
Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse senior Chad Pierce won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:03.14.
The Warren De La Salle boys swimming and diving team won the 2014 Macomb County championship. Here’s a look at where each team finished during the Feb. 1 competition.
1. Warren De La Salle (378 points)
2. Macomb Dakota (253)
3. Fraser (243)
4. Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (215)
5. Anchor Bay (154)
The rest of the field:
6. Utica Ford II (151), 7. Sterling Heights Stevenson (145), 8. Utica High (140), 9. Romeo (122), 10. Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse (114), 11. Utica Eisenhower (98), 12. Warren Woods Tower (94), 13. St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (58), 14. Sterling Heights High (31), 15. Center Line, Warren Cousino (29), 17. Warren Mott (26), 18. Macomb L’Anse Creuse North, 19. St. Clair Shores South Lake (21), 20. East Detroit (2).
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Cousino lacrosse having a breakout season - Warren
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals