Macomb CountyJune 21, 2012
MAC’s top baseball players honored
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
Now that the state baseball finals have concluded, it’s time to take a look back at the divisional races and honor the players the coaches felt deserved special recognition by being selected All-Conference in the various divisions of the Macomb Area Conference.
Coach of the Year and divisional MVPs were also selected.
Utica Stevenson (8-2) won the league title for the third straight year. Macomb Dakota and Grosse Pointe South tied for second at 9-3. Grosse Pointe North finished in fourth place at 4-6, followed by Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (3-7) and Utica Eisenhower (1-9).
Stevenson sophomore Brandon Hughes won the league’s MVP award, while his coach, Joe Emanuele, took home division Coach of the Year honors.
All-Conference selections go to Hughes, seniors Kevin Marnon and Bobby Tikkanen, and junior Troy Toarmina, Stevenson; juniors Carmen Benedetti and Jack Doyle, and sophomore Jon Parker, South; seniors Ian Hathaway and Blake Buckner, and junior Travis Perkola, Dakota; seniors Robert Wujek and Anthony Sarkis, North; senior Mike Martin and junior Nate Blackwell, Chippewa Valley; and senior Dylan Eschenburg, Ike.
Macomb L’Anse Creuse North (9-1) claimed its second straight division title. Warren Mott (7-3) finished second, followed by Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse (6-4), Utica Ford II (5-5), St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (2-8) and Romeo (1-9).
LCN senior pitcher Dan Clouse is the league MVP, while LCN coach Jeff Dropps is the Coach of the Year.
All-Conference selections are Clouse, seniors Ryan Cykon and Sean O’Mara, and junior Nick Ivone, LCN; senior Lucas Ross, sophomore Jake Onstott and junior Nick Maluchnik, Mott; seniors Jake Vawter, Tyler Phillips and Raleigh Wilson, L’Anse Creuse; seniors Mac Forsyth and Jacob Bennett, Ford II; junior Matt Chambers and sophomore Alex Stepanski, Lake Shore; and junior Joe Gardner, Romeo.
St. Clair (10-0) took the league title for the fourth straight year, going undefeated in league play for the second straight season. Anchor Bay (7-3) finished second, followed by Port Huron Northern (6-4), Port Huron High (3-7), Marysville (2-8) and Utica High (2-8).
St. Clair senior Jacob Crongnworth grabbed MVP honors, and St. Clair coach Bill McElreath is the division’s Coach of the Year.
All-Conference selections are Crongnworth, senior Jermey Carrell, junior Tyler Lozgn and sophomore Jared Tobey, St. Clair; seniors Nick Black, Anthony Mistiewicz and Colin Capaldi, Anchor Bay; senior Garrett McPhail, and sophomores Mitch Houle and Shane Velasquez, Port Huron Northern; junior Evan Wagner and senior Kyle Moran, Port Huron High; senior Jake Hornbacker and junior Dom Chrcek, Marysville; and senior Donny Rogalski, Utica.
Marine City (10-0) won the league for the second straight year. Warren Cousino (7-3) placed second, followed by Fraser (6-4), Warren Woods Tower (4-6), Madison Heights Lamphere (2-8) and Roseville (1-9).
Marine City senior Alex Kroll earned league MVP honors. Kroll’s coach, Daryn Letson, was named Gold Division Coach of the Year.
All-Conference selections are Alex Kroll, and seniors Adam Kroll, Gunner Glodich and Aaron Loconsole, Marine City; seniors Corey Dunaj and Ben Barone, and sophomore John Strom, Cousino; juniors Matt Mainhardt and Alex Behnke, and senior Tyler Grzelakowski, Fraser; senior Alec Ginzinger and freshman Travis Terrier, Tower; junior Ryan Roman and sophomore Shane Sabrosky, Lamphere; and senior Cody Balicki, Roseville.
St. Clair Shores Lakeview (8-2) won the league for the second straight year. Clawson (7-3) finished second, followed by Sterling Heights High (6-4), Center Line (5-5), Eastpointe East Detroit (4-6) and Madison Heights Madison (0-10).
Lakeview senior Karl Schneider gets the nod as league MVP, while first-year Lakeview coach Brett Vaughn is the Coach of the Year.
All-Conference selections include Schneider and seniors Mark Powell, Nino Genna and Tyler Dombrowski, Lakeview; junior Craig Bynum and seniors Justin Smith and Jawuan Harris, Clawson; senior Michael Trudel, Nolan Brower and Lance Sheard, Sterling Heights; junior Jerome Dina and sophomore Kyle Lugar, Center Line; junior Jimmie Lewis and sophomore Chad Sikorski, East Detroit; and senior Taylor James, Madison.
St. Clair Shores South Lake (8-2) took the league title. Warren Fitzgerald and Clinton Township Clintondale tied for second at 7-3, followed by New Haven (6-4), Warren Lincoln (2-8) and Mount Clemens (0-10).
South Lake senior Nick Kenny was named league MVP, while his coach, Jose Jimenez, won league Coach of the Year honors.
All-Conference selections are Kenny, senior Colin Gornick, junior Daron Donahue and sophomore Tyler Batz, South Lake; seniors James Victory, Drake Jackson and Brian Tolomei, Fitzgerald; junior Jacob Babbitt, and seniors Ryan Pellerito and Todd Walker, Clintondale; junior Brandon Gibson and senior Brandon Aguinaga, New Haven; junior Mitchell Blanchard and senior Duane McGoff, Lincoln.
Mount Clemens did not submit information on its All-Conference honorees.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start