Grosse Pointe Woods
Published August 7, 2013
Lochmoor swim team wins 12th straight league title
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
GROSSE POINTE WOODS — The Lochmoor Sea Dragons swim team had another banner summer, as the Grosse Pointe Woods-based team finished the regular season undefeated to go along with winning a 12th straight Michigan Inter-Club Swim Association league title.
The Sea Dragons, coached by Kevin Hafner, went 6-0 this season in dual meets and bested 13 teams to win the MICSA title in a meet held July 26-28 at the Detroit Yacht Club. The Sea Dragons tallied 1,346 points in various events at the meet, winning the boys’ and girls’ titles at the league competition. The Birmingham Athletic Club notched 1,254.5 points to finish second.
Lochmoor’s total, according to Hafner, is the highest-ever point total at the meet.
“I couldn’t be more proud of the rebuilding this team has done this season,” said Hafner, in his 18th season as Sea Dragons coach. “We have reinvented ourselves as a championship team through a strong commitment to swimming, with the help of an amazing support system of club members, parents, athletes and employees.”
Lochmoor’s group of 8U swimmers led the team by tallying 375 points. Lochmoor swimmers Jackson Wujek and Chris Cornell won two events each. Wujek won the 11- and 12-year-old 50-meter breaststroke and 50 freestyle. Cornell won the 50 breaststroke and 100 individual medley. Hannah Wheatley won the 8U 25 breaststroke title, with teammate Ian Donahue taking the 25 freestyle title. Olivia Yoo won the 8U 25 butterfly. In all, Lochmoor swimmers placed in the top three in 16 events.
Aside from winning the boys and girls trophies at the league meet, the Sea Dragons also earned the Corsan Challenge Award for raising the most money of all the teams in the MISCA in support of the Detroit Swims Initiative, which aims to help children who live in the city of Detroit learn to swim.
The Lochmoor Swim Team is open and available to all children of Lochmoor Club members age 17 and younger.
For more information on the Lochmoor swim team, call (313) 886-1010 or check www.lochmoorclub.com.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals