Published February 12, 2014
Local wrestlers battle in team and individual districts
By Christian Davis email@example.com Follow Christian on Twitter.
Troy High wrestling coach Jon Thomas called the district semifinal against Utica High a battle.
The Colts fell 36-34 Feb. 5 at Utica.
“A few things went our way, a few things didn’t,” Thomas said. “Utica did wrestle a tough match, though. They stayed off their backs and took advantage of their opportunities.”
Utica went on to lose to Utica Ford 38-33 in the final. Ford earned a spot in the championship after beating Troy Athens 45-27.
Though the Colts didn’t win their second straight district title, they did win a trophy this season. Troy finished 5-0 in the Oakland Activities Association Blue Division, marking the program’s first title since 2000.
“I was extremely proud of the team when we won the league title,” Thomas said. “We set a goal at the beginning of the season, worked hard for that goal and accomplished that goal. We really came together as a team, pushed each other and did something that hasn’t been done at Troy High in more than a decade.”
Troy and Athens did find some success in the individual district Feb. 8 at Rochester High.
The Colts qualified four wrestlers in Kevin Thomas at 103, Tim Fedosseev (130) Andrew Ellicott (140) and Conan Stoehr (189).
Thomas Keyes (135) and John Staron (145) qualified for the Red Hawks.
All five wrestle in their regional Feb. 18 at Oxford High.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams